Monday, November 30, 2009

EIC'S10Q'S w/Nightmare Air

"..loud/blaring Punk-Rock proclivity with atmospheric Sheogazer tendencies, expect to hear many things about this project in the future.."


West Coast Trail Blazers

Nightmaire Air Bio:
Los Angeles/Seattle-based Nightmare Air features Film School members Dave Dupuis (guitar & vocals) and James Smith (drums) along with new blood Swaan Miller (bass & vocals). In the hiatus that followed two years of intensive touring with Film School in 2007-08, Nightmare Air took the time to craft a collection of driving, richly layered songs that bristle with distortion and agitation.


Hello, how are you?
Things are great!
The sun is shining brightly in California and I managed to make a really great cup of coffee this morning.
I'm a little frustrated with my poor silkscreening skills though.
Swaan and I are trying to make some Nightmare Air merch but we keep screwing it up.
Oh well, it's art...it always takes a little time to get it right.

What are you currently listening to?
In my 5 disc CD at this very moment is....
Built to Spill - there is no enemy (the new one)
A Place to Bury Strangers - exploding head (also the new one)
Fleet Foxes
Stereolab - Swiched On
Dinosaur Jr.- Farm
I've been kind of on a throwback phase the past couple weeks.
A fella who likes Nightmare contacted me to say hi and included a link to his YouTube Page...Ambient Airwaves. I've been spending a lot of times going through his videos. Mostly 90's alternative stuff...like cream of the crop. The kind of music that I learned to play guitar to Swerevdriver, Smashing Pumpkins, My Bloody Valentine, Bailter Space, Spiritualized....all the good stuff.

You guys are a relatively new group, where did you originally meet?
James and I met in Seattle over 10 years ago on the street.
He had this really cool 70's Honda motorcycle.
I was on the street checking it, then he came out.
...I was like "cool bike man"
...he was likes "thanks"
...then somehow we started talking our mutual appreciation for the band Quasi, maybe he had a sticker or something.
Either way the next week we jammed and haven't stopped since.
We've been in a handful of bands/ projects over the years...
Nightmare Air the newest and the most exciting in a long time.
Swaan and I went to the same high school in New Hampshire, but didn't actally meet untill we were both living in Oakland, Ca about 5 years ago. I'm a bit older than her and paths never quite crossed.
The three of us have a great dynamic.
I love being a three piece....
Even more I love playing music with two of my favorite people in the world!

Where does the name Nightmare Air derive from?
We got the name from a Skateboard film from 1987 called "In Search for Animal Chin"
There is a scene when the skaters in the film are in a hotel room goofing off and lying on their backs practicing different ramp moves/ airs ...Indie air, Japan air, Rocket air,... etc. One of the skaters named Lance Mountain pulled a jokey move where he pretended to be asleep in a nightmare, woke up and immediately put the board to his feet. He pulled a Nightmare Air!
In religiously watched skateboard videos in my youth/teen years.
The music and DIY energy / spirit of skateboarding in the early 90's really determined the direction of sound that I still have today.

Can you explain your sound in 5 words?
I, Love, Rock, And, Roll

You’re currently working on your debut EP, is there a tentative album title?
This one is going to be self titled.
Just gonna keep it easy.

Will you be touring the US shortly after the EP’s release?
Yes, but kind of partial tours.
The EP will be totally done the beginning of this November.
We're doing some west coast dates in November and some East coast dates in December.
Swaan actually has to head back to Seattle to finish School at the Univ of Washington for the Spring....so the plan is to do so short tours while she's on break. Then hit is hard come June.

You recently paid a show with Amusement Parks On Fire, how awesome was that show?
Totally awesome!
Amusement Parks on Fire are a bitchin bunch of guys.
I met them a few years ago when I was in the touring the UK with the Silversun Pickups.
Lucky for me Amusement Parks have been working on their new record here in LA the past couple months...watch out for that one, it's gonna be beyond Epic!

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?
Impossible question.
but...
It would probably be an old 50's doo wop record.... actually no not that.
Perhaps a Beatles album, they're timeless... no actually not that either.
Maybe Neil Young, or no...I need more guitar rock...Swervedriver?
See what I mean this question is impossible!!

Are you living your dream?
I would like to ride more boats though tropical waters...but other than that, yes!

Thanx Dave!

Nightmare Air are about to embark on a East Coast tour, make sure to check them out if you can...

No comments:

Post a Comment