Monday, November 16, 2009

EIC'S10Q'S w/A Place To Bury Strangers

"..take one guitarist/vocalist who fabricates his own distortion pedals/has an obsession with experimental guitar effects add Shoegaze & Industrial aesthetics, AWESOME drumming (both human and electronic), and enough loud Rock noises to piss off every neighbor on your block and you get best releases of 09.."


A Place To Bury Strangers
Cacophonous Aphotic Pandemonium

A Place To Bury Strangers Bio:
Drawing inspiration from Shoegaze, Classic Indie Rock, and atmospheric and dark sounds of all stripes, the Brooklyn-based A Place to Bury Strangers consist of Oliver Ackermann, Jay Space, and Jono Mofo. Forming out of the ashes of the likeminded Skywave, the band has a darker, slightly heavier, and more experimental approach than its previous incarnation. The trio made a splash in 2006, recording and playing gigs with Read Yellow, Bravo Silva, The Funeral Crashers, and The Brian Jonestown Massacre. A Place to Bury Strangers' 2007 self-titled debut album, which was released by Killer Pimp, introduced their sonic assault; they moved to Mute for 2009's "Exploding Head", which honed their songcraft as well as their commitment to beautiful noise.


Hello, how are you?
Hello, good, thank you. How about you?

What are you currently listening to?
Right now I am listening to Lush "Gala", I am trying to DJ up some songs I know Jono will like while he is driving through a torrential rain poor on our way to Dallas.

How did the name A Place To Bury Strangers come up?
It was our old drummer. He though it was a cool name and the old bass player in the band put it on our first flyer so it has been it ever since.

Which album are you more proud of your newest, “Exploding Head”, or your first?
I dunno, I am proud of both records for different reasons. I like the first record because it exposed a lot of people to our music. There were a lot of very twisted recording techniques used and it gave me more confidence when we recorded the second record. I think on the second record I really tried to spend a long time getting just the right sounds which seems to have worked out pretty well.

Who was the best band you’ve toured with and why?
That is a tough question. We really haven't had any bad times touring with any of the bands we have toured with. I guess I will say Holy Fuck because we were both playing very different types of music and we played a bunch of shows where we all played together and that was a blast.

Has anyone ever complained about how loud your live shows are?
Yes, many times.

How did you get into creating your own guitar pedals?
I just wanted to make sounds that I couldn't get anywhere else so I had to create them. I used to buy tons of gear from pawn shops and yard sales all over the place so I had a ton of equipment and would try to trick it out but most of the time it broke, but eventually I got the hang of it and then started building my own gear.

Is there anything on your mp3 player that you are a little embarrassed to say you own?
Nope. I've got lots of stuff that maybe someone would be embarrassed but fuck it.

You can only keep/listen to ONE album for the rest of your life ..which album would it be?

Cobraspa - Members Only

Are you living your dream?
Yes. Everyone should always do what they want to do.

Thanx APTBS!

APTBS are currently touring, please, please go see them live if you get a chance, you will not regret it...

1 comment: