Thursday, December 25, 2008

REVIEW: Glasvegas - Glasvegas

8 out of 10

Have you ever thought what the heroin addicts from Trainspotting would sound like today, if they sobered up and started a band? Glasvegas, is to me, the answer to that most sought after of questions. Glasvegas started playing gigs in 2000 in Glasgow but hail from the industrial township of Glaswegian. They didn't release any recorded material until 2006. It is evident from their sound they spent those six years refining their sound, and by 2007 were on some of the best songs of 2007 lists with "Daddy's Gone". Glasvegas are intense young folk who ooze humanity. 'Flowers and Football Tops' which addresses the death of 15-year-old Kriss Donald, who was kidnapped near his home and murdered by five men. It is incredibly poignant, especially when, five minutes in, the guitars fall away and Allan, gently, croons, "You are my sunshine, my only sunshine/ You make me happy when skies are grey" they continue again on the song stabbed wherein the quartet slow the tempo and confront the subject from which there is no respite. 'I'm gonna get stabbed,' says Allan, matter-of-factly, over a piano and a hint of background hiss. 'No cavalry could ever save me/ I'm gonna get stabbed.' Not that all there music is concerned with the woe's of the murdered young men. 'It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry' is as sentimental as they come.

These are hard nosed softies grown much in sound from there day's playing rockabilly. Influences include Jesus And Marychain, My Bloody Valentine, and U2. The self titled album is heralded not only by many critics but by this loathsome reviewer as well. It's sentimental but with reason. It's growing in my appreciation with every play through. There are many comparisons to Oasis and Jesus And Marychain notably for the slow guitar build up and lyrical storytelling.

Standout Tracks: It's My Own Cheating Heart That Makes Me Cry, Geraldine, Lonesome Swan, Polmont On My mind

No comments:

Post a Comment