Wednesday, June 23, 2010

REVIEW: Twin Sister - Color Your Life

8.5 out of 10

Here's another one of those "I'm really far behind on work and haven't had the chance to review" albums that I've been meaning to talk about for quite some time now. "Color Your Life" is the (official) debut release of Twin Sister. If you visit their site you can also get your hands on quite a few other goodies, which I recommend. If you were lucky enough to find this release within it's first couple weeks it was free via the band's site, sorry if you missed out. Either way it's worth your hard-earned cash. I have had "Color Your Life" on heavy rotation since it was originally released back in April '10, and I know (after listening to it sooo MANY times) that it will be on MANY year-end lists, I guarantee it. If anything, it WILL be on mine (I'm thinkin' somewhere high up).

Here's an equation that may or may not make sense to you. What Pinback did to Indie Pop/Rock, Twin Sister has done to Indie Electronic/Dream Pop. By that I mean Pinback had this way of taking the simplest of melodies/sounds and putting them together in the best possible way. The end result being a song that you hum in your head for the next few days (maybe weeks). To simplify that "equation", Twin Sister have created one of catchiest Dream Pop albums in years. It's simplistic beauty and playful banters just puts a smile inside my ear every time I listen to it. Andrea Estella's vocals have this unique, yet familiar sound to them which give every track the perfect amount of whimsy and childlike attributes that could swoon almost anyone over in just one note. The Guitars which are sometimes plucked lightly, and sometimes played in-vein of Surf Rock give the albums the perfect amount of pop and sui generis sound. The drumming keeps a simple beat, but the kind of beat where you bob your head every other track. And the dancey/fun bass lines as well as the Casio sound FX/other vintage sounding Synthesized sounds fill the track perfectly so that there is no empty space on this perfect pop opus. "Color Your Life" does indeed add that pop of calming-excitement/brightness that you may have been missing. I also consider it (maybe you'll agree?) the soundtrack to my Spring/Summer. I think you owe it to yourself to get this NOW. Very catchy indeed.

Hand's down one of the most revisited albums of the year for me. Dream Popper's I'm sure you've been swooning over these guys for a while now, anyone else who hasn't had the chance to introduce themselves do so NOW. Highly Recommended (as long as your OK with obsessing over one album for a long time).

Standout Tracks: All, Lady Daydream (love the guitar on this one), All Around And Away We Go, Galaxy Plateau (I like that this song fades into the next, which is the best on the whole album), Phenomenons (the best track -- so addicting)

No comments:

Post a Comment