Wednesday, May 12, 2010

REVIEW: Sinner DC - Crystal EP

6.75 out of 10
Find it here.

The last Sinner DC release was "Crystallized", as I mentioned "Its, deep, spacey, and drenching in emotional electric intelligence..". On top of being EIC's #24 album of 2009, it was a major step up in production/overall "grand scale soundscapeage" (that's a word, trust me) for the band. Any who the trio decided to release a follow up remix EP/companion called "Crystal EP". Here it is, and yes, I still stand behind my guarantee..

This is your "classic" remix companion. Songs are stripped down & placed back together with a few notes/beats/additional sounds added here and there. Some of the tracks sound like they would be terrific filler tracks in-between the originals on "Crystallized", and some, unfortunately, fall a little short (just a little though). Honestly, I do like this EP, I'm just a little harder to sell when it comes to remix albums. How do you top the original? It's (really) hard to do, it can be done, but it's tough. Still though I find some of the tracks compelling on "Crystal EP". They all maintain the same atmospheric qualities, meaning they sound cohesive in every way that they should. I like how every artists latches on to one particular sound and builds a pulsing dance beat that eventually overtakes the sample. And I like that, although it's a remix album, it still has the feel of an "original" Sinner DC album. I kind of wish the artists (whom were hand-picked by Sinner DC) used more vocal layers/samples, but perhaps the band wanted a stronger focus on the sounds rather than the words themselves.. None-the-less, this is a nice way to round off a terrific album, it would sound amazing if you were at a club and the DJ was actually cool enough to play music like this, and most importantly IT'S A NEW SINNER DC ALBUM! (I've seriously never met one person that I've turned onto this band that isn't completely obsessed by now and has to own everything--you're welcome:)

What more can I possibly say about Sinner DC that hasn't been said by now? I absolutely love the music that they make. It's simple electronic music with a sexual/spacey quality that I can never get enough of. And within a year or so their next full length will be gracing my ears for the first time, only to start my obsession all over again (not that it ever really goes away). Recommended.

Standout Tracks: V (Ghostape Remix), Glass Alley (360 / Patrice BĂ„umel & Nuno-Dos Santos Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment