Monday, July 25, 2011

REVIEW: Matias Aguayo - I Don't Smoke EP

6.25 out of 10

I have to admit I was a little late on the ball when it came to "discovering" Matias Aguayo. I never really got into Closer Musik, although I really don't "hate" them either (hmm, maybe I should go back to them?), and I failed to miss any promotions for his first album "Are You Really Lost". It wasn't until his second album "Ay Ay Ay" came out that I became hooked. For those of you who listen to him or have heard him, you know what I mean when I say "Rollerskate" is one of (if not the) catchiest songs of all time (seriously this song haunts me in my sleep). ::humming song in head now:: Followed briefly after "Ay Ay Ay" Matias is back with a new EP titled "I Don't Smoke", which is apparently a diary of some sorts about being on the road and witnessing hardcore dancing natives.

What can I really say about Matias that hasn't been said by now? His form of Dance music not only glows with brilliant & simple Electronic samples but it also exuberates a serious form of humor that is, well.. it's the bees kuhneez! "I Don't Smoke EP" starts off with a "tribalistic" beat which becomes somewhat "Clubier" & "Ravier" as it moves along (your toes may get tired from all the tappin'). This is a quirky intro for this album, but I suppose that only makes "sense" when it comes to Mr. Aguayo's style. Most of the album relies on multi-layered drum beats, some more live sounding that machine made, very beat heavy though. In-fact, I wish there was more "weirdness" about it, I suppose it was made for a dancing culture, but I need that "weird factor" there. Perhaps, this album is just too "straight forward" for me? Don't get me wrong, I love Matias Aguayo, but this wouldn't be where I'd start if you've never heard him. Listen to his other releases first, then come back to this one, you'll appreciate it more that way. No matter what though, make sure you check out this fantastic artist if you haven't done so by now.

A nice follow up to his last, a nice filler between his next, "I Don't Smoke EP" is 100% weird fun dance music from beginning to end..

Standout Tracks: I Don't Smoke (great track)

No comments:

Post a Comment